Sunday, August 23, 2009

Happy Trails


We're back from our trip to New Mexico and had a wonderful time! We got back about 10:00 Friday night. We began our trip with a night in Santa Fe at La Pasada. The next day we spent the day in Santa Fe shopping and listening to music around the plaza and that night we headed out to our cabin. The cabin was located outside of Pecos, NM in the mountains. It was a wonderful place to relax and get away for awhile. At the cabin we had no cell phone reception which was wonderful!! A much needed break from technology. Each day we fished on the Pecos River. I finally learned how to fly fish and absolutely loved it! At first I was getting frustrated because it is more work than regular fishing and I wasn't catching anything. But once I got the hang of things, I was "hooked" (haha). I fell in once, went into water that was deeper than my waders, waded in the cold river in my clothes, and ripped my pants AND underwear!! It was so much fun! The night I waded in my clothes I thought I was finished fishing for the day so I went to the cabin to get changed. I was looking for Will and soon realized he had gone fishing as well. So i headed down to the river (now in my clothes) and after watching him catch several fish decided to go out there thinking, "Who cares if I am in my clothes". The river was cold but once you get used to it, it isn't bad. I decided, however, that I like to fish away from everyone. That way I can concentrate on fishing and not worry if anyone is watching "my form" and such. Also I like to eat sunflower seeds and sing at the top of my lungs. One time I was singing "Happy Trails" and didn't think anyone could hear, but apparently Will could hear me from far off...haha. The weather was wonderful. I believe one morning when we woke up it was 45 and felt GREAT! Ava seemed to like Santa Fe and our cabin. She "talked" so much on the trip!! She also seemed to like her long night-nights pretty well (and appreciated them on cold nights). Overall we had a WONDERFUL time. Ate WAY too much and relaxed a lot. It was really nice to get away with family before school chaos begins. Here are some pictures from the trip. You may also see more by clicking here.
Jewelry shopping by The Plaza. Many people bring their handmade jewelry (mainly turquoise) to sell...REALLY neat. I could have spent a lot of money here.
A lady I met on the plaza named Kiran holding the painting of Pasquals that I bought from her. She is an artist that mainly specializes in water color painting now but has done many things throughout her life. She received full scholarship for art at NYU and other prestigious art schools. She has also lived and traveled in many places all across Europe throughout her life. I really enjoyed talking to her-a very nice and interesting lady!
Jason, Shannon, Me, and Will "geared up" and headed out to fly fish one morning.
Will and I about to head back to the cabin from fly fishing
Speaking of school, it starts tomorrow morning at 9am for me. UGHHHH where did the summer go??? I am ready for the routine but not looking forward to leaving my munchkin. She will be staying with Nini and Julie which I am SOOO thankful for. Will and I have decided that if we had to take her to daycare I would be having an absolute break down right about now. Anyway, I know she will be in good hands, it still makes me a little nervous leaving her so much for the first time. Will and I will be able to ride together Monday, Wednesday, and Fridays which is good for gas and also spending time together (even if it is in car haha). Will's first class is at 8am so we will leave here at 7 every morning. This semester I am taking History (until 1865), Developmental Psychology, Badminton, Anatomy and Physiology 2, and Government. I am ready to get settled into a routine. At first it may be a little overwhelming given my many responsibilities, but I know I can handle it.


I wanted to relax today, given it was the last day of summer, but that didn't happen. I spent the day cleaning, doing laundry, and cooking for the week. I made King Ranch Chicken and a lot of beans in the crock pot. I froze half of the KRC for a later date and put the rest in the fridge to bake tomorrow night. Althought I hate spending my Sunday doing things around the house, I have found that it makes for a much better week to be prepared and organized.


Ava will be 4 months old tomorrow!! CRAZY!!! I can't believe how time flies. I was looking at pictures the other day and goodness gracious she has gotten so big!!! We start cereal this week. We were told by the doctor to wait until she was 4 months old to start. While many do not follow this rule, we decided there must be a reason for the rule and that we would wait. She has been pretty hungry lately so I am sure she will be VERY glad to start eating "big girl cereal". She had a rough day today. She was hungry all day (or so it seemed) which made her pretty fussy. Then I was holding her while I was eating dinner (since she was still fussy) and she grabbed my bowl of beans and turned it over causing the beans to spill all over me and Ava! Luckily they weren't very hot, she didn't even seem to really notice.

No comments:

Post a Comment