Friday, January 01, 2010

good luck and prosperity (on a plate)

So here it is, the day that all of America is supposed to be eating black-eyed peas and cabbage. Are you? I am not a huge fan of this traditional meal but considering I am not one to break away from tradition, we will be having black-eyed peas and cabbage for dinner tonight. But, would I have been the one to choose the traditional meal for New Years day, it would be something a little more scrumptious like red beans ... or chocolate.

Out of curiousity I researched why on earth we have black-eyed peas and cabbage on New Years day and while no one really knows where the tradition came from, many believe it came from the time of the Civil War (or so I read). And the reason is because following the celebrations of New Year's Eve, we are to eat something simple to start off the new year and to bring good luck and prosperity. (Again, what would have been wrong with red beans?)

So, with my own opinions aside, we will be having spicy black-eyed peas and cabbage - in fact my house smells of the peas as we speak. As for the prosperity, I hope the amount of cabbage you have isn't proportional to the amount of prosperity for the year to come because as you can clearly see, our head of cabbage is tiny!

Happy New Year to you and your's and may it be full of good luck and prosperity along with much love and many blessings!

PS: I secretly (although it is not so secret now I suppose) admire the skychatter's blog along with her professional looking photography ... so I decided to copy a little trick of hers and add the copyright symbol to my picture as well ... haha ridiculous? Maybe, but oh well. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment